java

Suresh Jagannathan suresh@research.nj.nec.com
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:07:21 -0400

I've forwarded your program to Cristian.  Unfortunately,
Trail doesn't support inner classes, so we can't directly
test the program.  Can you elaborate on what you expect
the answer to be (or not to be)?

I take your comments on return addresses as small integers
to mean that you suggest that the native code-generator
keeps a similar representation, incurring a small overhead
on returns.  But why do this at all -- since we can't easily
adapt MLton's current code generator, it seems we may as
well have full addresses and use native instructions to
handle returns.  Also, going to native-code should eliminate
the need for chunks, allowing each FOL procedure to be
directly compiled into an assembly language subroutine, so
the need for encoding return addresses the way it's
currently done becomes less important.  What am I missing
here?

	  -- sj