inline times

Stephen Weeks sweeks@research.nj.nec.com
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:46:59 -0500

> Here are times taken on Vaikuntam with recursive inlining,
> inlining continuations, and 3 rounds of simplification,
> followed by inlining at a specified threshold.

I don't quite understand what this means.  Does it mean that
the following distinct passes occurred in the following order?
  recursive inline
  inline continuations
  shrink
  shrink
  shrink
  nonrecursive inlinine (at threshold)
Also, are all of the inliners running yours?

There's almost no point in running the shrinker multiple times in
sequence, since only in bizarre situations does it miss a redex on the
first pass (or if it doesn't I would be interested to hear about it).