assembly or not

Stephen Weeks MLton@research.nj.nec.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:37:09 -0700 (PDT)

> As to generating machine code instead of assembler, it might be not too bad if
> you use the GNU bfd library (which, in theory, lets you generate .o files
> without too many problems).  Alternatively, there is that NJ toolkit.
> Still, for getting something going fast and not getting bogged down, it might
> be worth while just generating assembler first with a clean interface to that
> part.  In theory it would be trivial, and could be later replaced by a later
> version that went directly to the .o file.  Probably worth looking at bfd
> to see what that interface should look like.

I retract my suggestion.  I think that generating assembly should be
no problem.  There is no reason why we have to generate one big
assembly file like the C compiler.  We can generate lots and assemble
them separately.  I would like to avoid getting bogged down in some
big and possibly buggy GNU library or in the NJ toolkit.