forwarded message from Dave MacQueen

Stephen Weeks sweeks@intertrust.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

--7IlndLvawk

FYI.  I sent mail to Macqueen asking him to change the MLton contact to
MLton@sourcelight.com.

--7IlndLvawk

From: Dave MacQueen <dbm@research.bell-labs.com>
To: sml-nj@research.bell-labs.com, dcjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk, sweeks@acm.org,
        daveb@tardis.ed.ac.uk, sestoft@dina.kvl.dk, Claudio.Russo@cl.cam.ac.uk,
        kfl@itu.dk, mlj@dcs.ed.ac.uk, nick@microsoft.com, akenn@microsoft.com,
        tofte@itu.dk, mael@dina.kvl.dk, rwh@cs.cmu.edu
cc: dbm@research.bell-labs.com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:48:43 -0400

Dear SML implementers,

I've been thinking for some time that it would be beneficial to have a
way of communicating between the various groups implementing Standard
ML compilers.  After recent discussions with Ken Larsen, I looked into
sourceforge.net as a possible location where we could share
information, code, etc., and it seems to be a good choice.  So I have
registered at sourceforge and created a project "Standard ML" (short
form SML), which will have a home page at SML.sourceforge.net when I
get around to creating one.  A sourceforge project can have a web
page, mailing lists, a CVS repository, and other facilities like
bug management and discussion forums.

I thought that a good initial goal would be to try to build a
collection of SML '97 test suites that could be shared by all, and
which could be used informally to "certify" that a compiler implements
SML '97 and maximize the chances for cross-implementation portability.
We could also store implementation independent libraries and tools
there.  As an initial basis for the test suites, I propose using the
SML/NJ regression test suites, which will have to be purged of SML/NJ
specific features.

I am creating a mailing list

  sml-implementers@lists.sourceforge.net

which I will have to populate with addresses.  Here is my tenative set
of addresses:

sml-implementers:
   sml-nj@research.bell-labs.com  -- SML/NJ
   dcjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk  -- PolyML
   sweeks@acm.org -- MLton
   daveb@tardis.ed.ac.uk -- MLWorks
   sestoft@dina.kvl.dk, Claudio.Russo@cl.cam.ac.uk, kfl@itu.dk  -- Moscow ML
   mlj@dcs.ed.ac.uk, nick@microsoft.com, akenn@microsoft.com  -- MLj
   tofte@itu.dk, mael@dina.kvl.dk  -- MLkit
   rwh@cs.cmu.edu  -- TILT

I'm looking for suggestions for additions to or deletions from this
list.  For instance, I don't know whether anyone is actively working
on the Poplog SML implementation, but I'll try to find out.

If you want to be involved with this, please register at sourceforge.net and
let me know your user name so I can add it to the project.

Dave

--7IlndLvawk--