No subject

Henry Cejtin henry@clairv.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:14:01 -0500

I  tried  compiling  the  program  I  sent  you (game2) under the old and new
compiler with an initial line
    structure IntInf = Int
added.  The old compiler produced 46,850  bytes  of  code  and  the  new  one
produced 77,347 bytes of code.  As to speed:

    arg       old     new    SML/NJ
    6        11.72   13.67   15.73
    7       236.55  287.73  313.71

So  the  slow  down  is 17% for 6 and 21% for 7.  Still, rather disappointing
that we used to be 33% faster than SML/NJ (I expected  better)  and  the  new
version is only 9% faster.

In  all  of the above, `old' is 1999-6-17 and new is the source-free binaries
you sent me yesterday.  Still, the speed isn't bad.  The  `7'  case  requires
solving  (over  the  rationals)  8,128 different systems of linear equations,
where each system was 64 equations in 64 unknowns.  The timing indicate  that
the whole thing is still around 30 systems solved per second.