MLton for Win32...

ANOQ of the Sun anoq@hardcoreprocessing.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:57:51 +0200

Hello guys!

Here is the first crosscompiler distribution which I
believe is complete:
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com/Freeware/MLTonWin32.html

It has a nice (but quite long) online installation guide
and all :)

I have tried compiling it several times before it seemed
to compile "out-of-the-box".

And I have recompiled a new mlton.c too in this
distribution. It seems to require 256MB memory +
256MB swap space to compile MLton. And I've
seen that it's about 50.000 lines of SML code.
The game I was working on a few weeks ago was
about 5-6.000 lines of SML code and it could
barely compile on 128MB memory + 128MB swap space.

So it seems that the space complexity of MLton is
very reasonable - so now I really believe that
it will scale up to large applications :)

However, when compiling MLton I noticed (when
running top) that during the last parts of
compilation it took only about 5% CPU ressources.
Do you think this is because of bad memory
locality of reference - maybe because of
garbage collection? Because I fear that
this might be a problem if I am going to
write 3D software - which typically also
uses lots of memory.

But other than that it seems that MLton really
kicks ass :)
What compiler technology is used in it? Which
optimization passes do you have?

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com