ML game and more MLTon hacking :)

Stephen Weeks MLton@research.nj.nec.com
Mon, 15 May 2000 13:13:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Sounds great :) But then won't the FFI to C be slower?

I don't think so.  Data representations won't change, and the backend
will know how to generate the C calling convention, so it should cost
the same.

> How are the
> plans at this point? Also I hope that you will keep the C-backend,
> so that it will still be easy to port to Mac and PSX2 :)

Nothing has happened yet.  The student starts June 1 or so.  We'll
evaluate at the end of August.  As to the C backend, it shouldn't be
too hard to keep around.  But even then there's still some portability
issues remaining like word sizes and alignment restrictions.