No subject

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:45:59 -0500

I had an exchange with Reppy where I sent him
> I'm sure that MLton does much better at tupled (as opposed to curried) args.
> This is caused by the fact that that is the way we like to write things, but
> Stephen and I have talked about ways to fix this so that it does well on
> a broader set of styles.
and he responded with
> But this is a place where OCAML has a linguistic example.  Since evaluation
> is right to left for function arguments in OCAML, the compiler can generate
> specialized entries for partial applications.

I'm  confused.   The  word  `example' clearly makes no sense.  He seems to be
referring to the fact that OCaml allows arbitrary order of evaluation for
    f arg1 ... argn
(I couldn't find any place that requires it to be right-to-left).   Even  so,
how  does that help to generate specialized entries for partial applications?