Team PLClub ICFP entry -- comparing the performance of OCAML and SML

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:04:40 -0500

I'm  surprised  that  it  actually made much of a difference since I wouldn't
have thought that much time was spent in the library routines.  Of course  it
is  a  big  win  if you do many calls because they don't even involve a call.
I.e., sqrt(), for instance, is inlined directly into the `caller'.

I wonder what in gods name is going on with SML/NJ paying such a  huge  price
for  array  subscript  checking.  This is REALLY horrible since it encourages
people to use unsafe subscripts.