benchmarking Poly/ML & floating point

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:07:44 -0400 (EDT)

> > Note, in C there is NO WAY to match the IEEE requirement.  If you do
> > 	if (a == b)
> > 		xxx;
> > 	else
> > 		yyy;
> > does NOT tell you if the test is going to be `a == b' or `a != b'.
>
> I conclude from this that we can not use == on doubles in C and get what we
> need.  If so, then I guess that we need some inline assembly for the Real_equal
> and Real_qequal.

I think that I missed part of that from Henry; what part of the IEEE
requirement is missing?  And if that is really true, then I'll take
another look at what I got from the gcc's inline assembly and try to match
that up with the floating point status word information (and also check
if and where intel deviates from IEEE).