benchmarking Poly/ML & floating point

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:32:43 -0400 (EDT)

> > O.k.  It's a very simple peephole optimization anyways, so I think I'll
> > write it up and run it through the regressions and benchmarks and see if
> > it is ever activated.  From the CPS code, I'm guessing that if it is ever
> > used, it will be in some extreme case.  If it doesn't appear to hit
> > anything, then I'll just leave it turned off.
>
> If it's not too slow (I guess it's not), I'd leave it in anyways.

It didn't get run on any of the benchmarks.  But, I'm curious why the CPS
translation of  List.map Real.!= l  generates that level of indirection.
Is it because the representation decisions haven't been made yet and the
compiler doesn't know whether a simple (i.e., int, char, etc. type) move
will be appropriate for the eventual representation of booleans?