No subject

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:06:27 -0500

Well you were certainly correct about the program using all available memory.
I turned on gc-messages, and it did 102 GCs and after the 16th time there was
more  than  225  meg  live.   I would say that this shows we should have some
minimum such that if you get less than that free right after a  GC  you  give
up.

I later tried running the program on our 1 gig machine, and that also ran out
of memory.  Something really funny must be going on.  The entire  input  file
is 13.9 megabytes.  Admittedly, the way I am reading it it is all going to be
in memory until I am done reading, but even if you keep it in a list, that is
`only'  12 bytes per character or 167 megabytes, which should easily have fit
on a 1 GIG machine.  I also build a matrix of ints while reading it in (as  a
list  of  lists),  and  the matrix has a bit under 5 million entries, so that
would be another 60 megabytes.  I know that these estimates are crude, but  I
remind you that it used to work fine on my .5 gig machine.

I suppose I really should look at the new TextIO.