priorities

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:46:47 -0500 (EST)

> Here's what I'd like to see done before the next release.
>
> * exceptions paper and strategies for implementing handlers
> * limit check coalescing
> * fix Henry's bug
> * calling SML from C
> * gmp3
> * anonymous CVS access
> * cvsweb

All fine.  I take it you want to be able to publicize the public CVS
access in the next release.

I agree with Henry that SML from C would be cool, but not super high.

> * rework object headers to allow large arrays

This is reworking the bits and the gc?  So, that shouldn't be to bad.
Also, keep in mind that we have the mod 8 alignment "bit" that we
eventually want to use to speed up floating point.

> * known-case optimization

This is going to get done fairly soon, because it's starting to gel in my
head.

Some other things:
 * Int64
    (of course, I'm afraid that if we give Henry Int64, he'll start
     reading in 16G files and complaining about not having an arrays big
     enough to put them in ;)
 * Blume's portable library interface, if that's the direction that SML
    moves.