usage message

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:51:59 -0800 (PST)

> One  thing  which isn't write in the -v output is that there is no indication
> of shell commands which are more than 1 line long.  E.g., if  you  look  just
> after the line
>     + mlton -v /tmp/z.sml
> the  gcc  line  is continued on a second line, but the trailing backslash has
> been lost.  None of the other gcc lines seem to have been  folded,  which  is
> rather strange.  Also for -vv none of the lines was folded.

I assume you are referring to the following bit

+ mlton -v /tmp/z.sml
Compile starting
      gcc -DNODEBUG -DMLton_safe=TRUE -DMLton_detectOverflow=TRUE -I/home/sweeks/mlton/include -O1 -w -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -o /tmp/filemcl9co /tmp/fileS9hT7L.c -L/home/sweeks/mlton/lib -lmlton -lm -lgmp
      /tmp/filemcl9co /tmp/fileoiFXHl
Compile finished in 2.490

Here, there are actually two calls.  The first is to gcc to generate the
executable /tmp/filemcl9co.  The second calls the executable which print outs
whatever constants appeared in the program.  This is done so the -D and #defines
are available as constants to MLton's ILs.

I agree that there are two calls is not obvious.  I guess the right thing to do
is to break all the calls and insert backslashes.