new release

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:06:00 -0800 (PST)

We're getting close to the new release.  Here's what I have left to do.

* A few more compiler speedups.
* Figure out what to do about Matthew's (or some other new) contification
  algorithm.
* Fix mlprof so it works with the native codegen.
* Benchmarking vs other compilers.
* Documentation (command line switches, native codegen, ...)
* Web pages
    I was thinking of adding a couple of new things to the homepage, like a
    list of people working on MLton (i.e. the four of us), and a list of
    projects using MLton.

Henry, you need to send me the IntInf/gmp changes pretty soon if you want them
to make it in.

Matthew, I have a couple of minor notes for you.

* I inserted a cast on line 84 of x86codegen.h.  The new main.sml doesn't
  compile the C file -wa and was getting an error.
* I noticed a few uses of List.insertionSort in your code.  I don't know how
  big the lists are, but if they are big, it could be costing us.  You might
  want to look into using MergeSort.sort, which is in my library.

and one major note

* There was recently an example mentioned on comp.lang.ml about slow compilation
  times with SML/NJ on long lists of integer constants.  I tried a few examples,
  and noticed that the native codegen is very slow on these as well.  If you
  could look into it, that would be great.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Maybe we can make end of January for all this.  I hope so.