Linux 2.4

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:42:16 -0600

If  adding  Int64  is  easier,  than that is fine by me.  It has to be signed
because you can use lseek to  position  yourself  relative  to  your  current
position.  (I guess I could argue that there isn't really any point in having
so many different types of ints, so it would be better to use IntInf, but  as
long as there is a way to go to and from IntInt.int's to Int64.int's, I don't
think it matters.)

Speaking of Reppy and the basis library (which sadly I did not get  a  chance
to  abuse  him  on),  one  of  the  publishers showing various books (I don't
remember which now) claimed that the basis library book would be available in
February of 2001.  This will certainly be an improvement, but also means that
things will be even more unchangeable after that.  As I have said many  times
before, I really hate 2 things:

    The  fact that xxx.fromString allows extra junk after the converted thing
        is insane.

    The fact that OS.FileSys.readDir returns the empty string when you are at
        the  end  of  the directory (instead of returning a string option) is
        also insane and, for some reason, really bothers me.