Misc...

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:47:26 +0200

Hello!

I'm happy to see that the new MLton is out! :)
I've downloaded it but not tried it yet though...

But the reason for this mail is to say a couple of
other things:

1) Earlier I reported a bug for the MLKit compiler -
   but now Martin Elsman <mael@dirac.dina.kvl.dk>
   (whom you might know already?) told me that the bug
   is in my code and SML/NJ and MLton :)

According to The Definition, it should not be possible
to define the following function:

fun Option x = x

It should (according to The Definition) be translated
into something like:

val Option = fn x => x

And Option is an exception constructor bound in the SML Basis Library.
However the function compiles fine with SML/NJ and MLton. OK - maybe
you can argue that it's not a bug in MLton, since MLton does not really
typecheck - but I thought you might want to know :)

2) I'm now involved in a new game-project that I will
probably be doing for a company. And it has to run on Mac OS...
So I believe that I will be porting MLton to MacOS soon
(if all goes well :)
Do you know of anything I might have to be aware of when
porting? Such as the big-endianness of the PowerPC processor
might affect the way MLton works etc.

I'm hoping I can get it up and running on both MacOS X
(which has a Mach kernel and a POSIX layer like BSD 4.4)
but hopefully also on MacOS 9...

3) The 3D game which I might have mentioned
earlier, which would require a new garbage collector has got
lower chance of becoming a real project - so I will probably
not be writing a GC for MLton in the very near future
after all... probably later though :)

4) I'm really glad to see that you have links for my homepage :)
But actually - CeX3D Converter does not convert images - it
converts 3D objects... :)

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com