mlton benchmarks

Doug Bagley doug@bagley.org
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:43:26 -0500 (CDT)

Stephen Weeks wrote:
> Hi Doug.  I've attached a gzipped tarfile with mlton versions of
> nine of the benchmarks: except, heapsort, lists, matrix, methcall,
> moments, objinst, wc, wordfreq.

Many thanks!

I hope you don't mind, but I slightly besmirched your code so that I
could make an almost identical entries for SML/NJ.  I could probably
do it in a prettier way.  Right now the source files for MLton and
SML/NJ are distinct, but I've been thinking of using the same source,
with a symlink.

One problem I had was with the format of the output of the moments.mlton
program.  (My test framework currently imposes a strict output format
which is checked for correctness).  The output is supposed to match the
following exactly:

 http://www.bagley.org/data/shootout/moments/Output

I thought I could simply output the floats with "Real.fmt (StringCvt.FIX
(SOME 6))", but it prints '~' for '-' on negative numbers, and 0.0 instead
of 0.000000, missing the trailing zeros that my framework expects to be
there.

I'll try to see if I can mangle the correct format out of it, but if
you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Doug