negative numeric output

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:58:43 -0500

I  really  must  point out that Doug Bagley is really quite right: the string
form of a negative number starts with at `-', NOT A `~'.  I understand the ML
problem  with overloading that causes it to use `~' in programs, but that has
nothing to do with it.  Does the basis library allow us to  use  `-'  in  the
various  toString  functions, or does it require `~'?  I know that it accepts
either in the fromString functions (which I don't  really  like,  but  I  can
accept).  If so then I would strongly recommend that we use `-'.