heapsort

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:39:32 -0500

Is there any requirement that the code for the shootout be SO UGLY.  I looked
at the heapsort code, and it is horrible, using ref's all over the place for
no good reason.  I know that the OCaml people tend to do this, and my guess
is that everyone is just copying their code, which is tweaked for their
compiler.  I have done a quick pass removing the refs, but no other changes.
(The algorithm is the same: I just did local changes) and it sped things up by
about 50% on a big example.  Can we just submit new code for MLton?