profiling bug understood

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:20:17 -0600

I  agree  that  the  name  of  the file should change from gmon.out since the
format is different.

As to doing it in ML, I thought about it, but I  don't  think  it  can  quite
work.   The  problem  is  that  ML  signal handlers are only called at `safe'
points, which isn't right for profiling stuff.  If you go  to  C  code  which
grinds  for  a  while,  then  during that time no ML handler will be invoked.
This can easily take more than .01 CPU seconds,  and  that  would  mean  tick
lost.  I don't see any solution to that.  A bit sad.