mem usage

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:19:16 -0600

I read reports on the various VM problems with 2.4 kernels in Linux and there is
a lot of variability, especially before 2.4.13.  Also after that there are
2 separate vm systems: a brand new one that Linus's kernel uses and the older
one that Alan Cox is using.  The problem's pre 2.4.13 largely showed up under
heavy memory load, so that could be part of what you are seeing when 85%
causes trouble.
I haven't seen it on my machine which is running a vanilla Red Hat 7.1,
but I don't do self compiles much at all so that probably isn't very relevant.