projects

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:08:31 -0800

Neal, I'm assuming you're getting the MLton mail, so I'm not cc'ing
you directly.  Please send us a note to let us know that you are
getting MLton mail.

> > As to projects, array bounds checking is still sitting there.  But let
> > me see if I can find something smaller to get your feet wet.
>
> Loop invariant code motion, a la dragon book/appel/muchnick, should be
> straightforward in the SSA IL, so that might be a good intro.

That is definitely easier.  There is already a loop-invariant pass
there that creates pre-headers.

It might be even easier to modify the existing redundant-tests to
eliminate redundant case expressions, like

case x of
   A => (case x of A => ...)

These feel a lot like redundant arithmetic tests to me and might fit
in the same pass.