failure

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:13:35 -0700

> In addition to the doc problem (it didn't get that far) it failed compiling
> mlyacc because cmcat was not found.

I am confused why it was trying to run cmcat, which it only should have done if
$(NAME).cm didn't exist.  Since $(NAME).cm is part of the sources, I don't
understand why it was missing.

> MUCH worse: the makefile entry to make $(NAME).cm succeeded.  You cannot use
> things like
> 	$(NAME).cm: xxx yyy
> 		(					\
> 			cmd;				\
> 			cmd;				\
> 		)
> because if the first `cmd' fails, the second one will still run and the exit
> status (which make will see) will be from the second one.

Agreed.  I am now fixing the problem.

> (Also the semicolon
> is a separator, not a terminator in the shell so I would eliminate the last one,
> but that doesn't matter.)

The terminating ";" is there for some versions of BASH that barf without it.