yet another Makefile issue

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:36:54 -0500

Weird,  my  install-info  reports the identical version number (under Red Hat
7.1).

I assume you didn't really want the space between `gmp' and  -stuff'  in  the
more  verbose  dir  file  code.   The  verbose thing seems to be fine on both
versions of install-info, and as you say, it really is more correct  so  that
looks like the way to go.  (One trivial change: make second argument to tr be
single-quoted, not double-quoted.  It is  more  consistant,  and  in  double-
quotes  the backslash is special to shells.  Mind you, it works either way in
Bash, but ...)

Sorry about the crankyness.  There are lots of systems I like, but many  more
that I really dislike.  The GNU info system is profoundly in the latter camp,
and always a thorn in my side because I use their  programs,  and  their  man
pages are always bad or out of date because they prefer the info stuff.

Threads,  on  the other hand, are, I think, a more principled problem because
of the non-determinacy that they introduce.  In most languages that  wouldn't
be much of a loss because the language semantics aren't tied down, for for ML
it really is.