CVS hackery

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:20:53 -0400 (EDT)

> > What did you do that screwed things up, and what did you do to fix it?
>
> I was attempting to create a branch off of the trunk so Matthew could join me in
> working on the SSA stuff.  I mistakenly committed the changes on the trunk
> instead of on the branch.  Fortunately, I had tagged both the version before and
> after the commit, so to fix the problem, I reverted the changes, created a new
> branch, committed the changes on the branch, then fixed up all the tags.  I
> think it's now ok.

I can't check in my changes to the ssa branch:

[fluet@lennon src]$ cvs commit mlton/codegen/x86-codegen
cvs commit: Examining mlton/codegen/x86-codegen
cvs server: sticky tag `ssa-branch' for file `mlton/codegen/x86-codegen/x86-allocate-registers.fun' is not a branch
cvs server: sticky tag `ssa-branch' for file `mlton/codegen/x86-codegen/x86-translate.fun' is not a branch
cvs server: sticky tag `ssa-branch' for file `mlton/codegen/x86-codegen/x86.fun' is not a branch
cvs server: sticky tag `ssa-branch' for file `mlton/codegen/x86-codegen/x86.sig' is not a branch
cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!
cvs commit: saving log message in /tmp/cvsByqRsI

I think maybe you just tagged the branch, rather than making it a true
branch.