intro to ML

Jagannathan, Suresh Suresh.Jagannathan@storagenetworks.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:56:52 -0400

If only person has seen Scheme, I think talking about the module language
would probably be a mistake; you'll lose a lot of people quickly.  I do
think showing program fragments with explicit types is probably a good
idea, and introducing polymorphism early on.

If you have to prioritize, I would order things like:

  1. expression (not statement) based
  2. higher-order functions
  3. polymorphic types
  4. datatypes
  5. pattern matching
  6. exceptions
  7. modules

On the other hand, if you actually have a working program that people could
appreciate, it might be enough of a teaser to go through that.  This might
get people interested enough to ask for more.