Win32 cross-compiling so far...

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:54:43 -0700

> If Windows has some kind of rsh type thing and decent shell (say under the
> Cygwin stuff) then you could patch all of this with a shell file in your
> path ahead of gcc.  This shell file would rsh to the remote machine, copy over
> the source files to that, run the compiler and leave the executable some where.
> Then it would create on the local (original) machine a shell file with the
> same name as the thing it was supposed to make.  This shell file rsh's to the
> remote machine and runs the real executable there.  Voila.
> Did I miss some problem here?

This sounds like massive overkill to me.  Recall that this C program is created
and executed for each run of MLton, not just for bootstrapping.  I don't want to
have an rsh be part of a normal crosscompile.  Since he is already
crosscompiling, he does already have the right header files -- he just needs to
include them in, but run the non-cross compiling gcc.