CVS Commit

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:43:40 -0500

I'm  very  happy  still  with my 400 MHz, but at least it has 512 meg of ram,
which is way way better than 192.  Memory is really cheap these  days  (about
25 cents per meg, so 512 meg is only $256).

Talking  about  registers, I was talking with Blume on Saturday on the way to
Babel.  I was asking him how long C calls took in SML/NJ, because  they  have
to set up a stack, and he said that they always have a stack (only pointed to
by the frame pointer) with negative offsets being used to get access  to  the
faked  register.   Do  we do that or do we actually use full memory addresses
for the faked registers.  The point is that offsets from the fp register  are
very  compact  so  just from the point of the i-cache it might be worth while
dedicating a register.

If we aren't doing this, would it be easy to hack it in just to see  what  it
does in terms of speed and code size?