MLton RAM usage

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:19:12 +0200

Henry Cejtin wrote:

> I figured out what the problem is that is causing the compiler to ask for too
> much space.  It is using the amount of space it could get on the machine that
> created  the  saved heap (/usr/local/lib/mlton/lib/world.mlton).  I'll figure
> out some fix, but for now just run mlton with the initial arguments
>     mlton @MLton max-heap ?m -- ...
> where ? is 85% of the physical memory in your machine in meg.

Ahh! This also explains why I can now compile with only 512 MB
without setting the "max-heap m450" flag. Because I first compiled
and installed the compiler with this flag set, and now
I'm compiling again without the flag, but it's using the
world.mlton from the previous compile.

Maybe this will also explain why I recently saw one of my own
apps running out of memory after a while, even though it
shouldn't be using that much mem. I really just thought
that I had a non-tail recursive main-loop or something! :)
I was using my patched version of MLton 1999-7-12 when it
happened, so this is probably a really old bug.

Thanks a lot for this info! If you make a fix for it, please
let me know :)

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com