moving to SourceForge

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:52:52 -0800

Henry writes:
> I think that moving it to Sourceforge is a big big mistake.  Who knows what
> there long-term future is given that VA is doing rather badly financially
> and that they also sell the sourceforge software, which means that they
> might not concentrate on improving their free version.

SourceForge has over 30,000 projects and almost 400,000 users.  I
don't think it's going away soon.

The software already does what we want, so improvements aren't that
essential.  But, I think that improvements are likely to continue
anyways with so many people using the software.

And even if SourceForge goes away (and this is a huge if), do you
really think we would lose anything?  SourceForge makes nightly
tarballs of our CVS directory available for download for backup
purposes, which we will certainly do.

I wouldn't mind redirecting the wed site from mlton.org so we have
longer term url stability, but that would be nice for MLton wherever
it lives.

Most importantly, SourceForge gives us stuff that I think would be
helpful in developing and promoting MLton, with minimal effort on our
part.

I still haven't seen anything that convinces me it's even a slightly
bad idea.