moving to SourceForge

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:42:17 -0600

I don't remember if it was Sourceforge or some one else, but as I recall with
their system you don't have a shell account to your own CVS files,  only  CVS
access.   That  would  be pretty bad since several times I have had to go and
manipulate the files by hand and not through CVS.  Also I seem to remember at
some  point,  and  again, I'm not sure it was Sourceforge but I think it was,
when they re-organized people could not even get their CVS files.  They could
extract  any  point  in  history,  but  they  could  not  get  the actual CVS
repository files.  Hence you couldn't move without losing your history.

The whole thing is just bad.  The Sourceforge  software  isn't  open  source.
Also  I  really think that the chances of Sourceforge going away is very non-
trivial.  If you really think that some other hosting place is the way to go,
the  GNU  version  would  be  a better bet, although my impression is that it
isn't quite there yet.  I think it just makes  no  sense  to  go  to  closed-
software and a company to support this kind of stuff.

I don't think that having it on Sourceforge or Sourcelight.com has any effect
at all as far as promotion.  Why would it?

It could well be that this is all tied to my disgust with CVS, which is still
very  healthy,  but I just don't see what the problem is.  If people want it,
they can get it.  The links already are out there.