[MLton-devel] Re: size increase

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 00:25:35 -0500

I would STRONGLY argue that any implementation of something called system
MUST ignore SIGINT and SIGQUIT.  Without this all kinds of things will fail
if run as interactive commands using this, and that gets done all the time.
If the only reason for the desire to do this is how much worse our code gets
in this case because of threads rearning their ugly head:
1.) It would be nice if this real problem could be fixed.
2.) It is trivial in things like the MLton compiler to not use system() and to
	instead use special code which understands that the compiler passes
	are not interactive.
I would argue that 2 should be done any way since in the case of MLton, if I
hit an interrupt I expect things to die, not stay alive.
Again, look at the C man page for the libc system() command.  Look in POSIX
and I'm sure you will see the interrupt handling discussed there to.