[MLton-devel] Re: MLton debian package

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:48:54 -0700

> I'll try to do it today so it'll have a chance of getting in before
> the big Debian release.

Cool.  Thanks.

> PS I'm going to be in NJ later this week, and at NECI on Thursday.
> If any of you are around it'd be fun to hang a bit.
> I've been doing some programming language stuff which I'm pretty
> excited about, and I'm looking for a suitable high performance
> implementation platform.

I'm afraid none of us are left at NECI, and only one of us (Suresh) is
even in New Jersey.  But, we'd definitely be interested in hearing
your ideas on this list to see if MLton might suit your needs.

> It seems that the "compile with previous versions" hack doesn't 100%
> work.  See below.  Removing the '-host self' fixes the invocation
> problem, but something flubs later on, also shown below.

Darn.  That looks like a code generator bug in the old MLton.  Oh
well, I guess you'll have to bootstrap with itself.

> I've got a couple minor Makefile hacks too, so "make install" won't
> undo stuff done by "make all", and to make "make install" idempotent,
> and stuff like that.  Do these seem like reasonable goals?  It would
> be nice for me to not have to patch the Makefile upon each upstream
> release.

Sounds great to me.  Send 'em and we'll patch our Makefile.

> Another question: should I again flush the included gmp4 and keep
> linking with whatever gmp is distributed with the OS, in the case of
> Debian that being gmp3, or are gmp4 features actually necessary?

Yes.  The included gmp4 is only for Cygwin.  It will be gone in the
next version of the sources.