[MLton-devel] GC when from+to > ram

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:20:06 -0500

I  don't  think that this is a big win, but one trick from the old Unix vs. 7
days, when each process could only address 64K of memory, was to use multiple
processes  linked  together.   For the GC trick, this would be something like
having another process, and during the GC you write out to the other  process
the  contents of the new to-space.  When you are done you could exit and have
that process start the mutator.

Given that the to-space access during GC is completely  sequential,  I  doubt
that  it  would  be much of a gain.  At least under Linux, for the file case,
the writes are going to go to the disk cache, and if you truncate  or  remove
the  file  then they should never actually go to the disk (if you have enough
total RAM).  Still, for Windows it might be some small gain.