[MLton-devel] D2 problem

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:49:25 -0700

Alain wrote:
>  I got the CVS code today, made a build from it and tested my
> small benchmark code which I sent you. It works on Linux but I get
> a under Cygwin a spurious right at program start:
>
> unhandled exception: Fail Thread.atomicEnd with no atomicBegin
>
> Other small sml codes seem to cross-compile OK.
>
> I suspect the head CVS version is a prototype that has not yet
> been fully tested.
>
> How could we in the future and as part of our contrats manage to
> have deliveries of versions that are fully tested ? The delivery
> process by CVS is fine with me.

I am not sure which version you grabbed or how you built it, but I am
unable to reproduce your error.  I have tried compiling both
prodcons.sml and your 10K line test file using both cross compilation
and compilation with the Cygwin version of MLton and have not
encountered any problems, other than running out of memory with the
512M array in your test code.

I think that delivery via CVS with you building MLton is not a stable
enough delivery method.  It makes it difficult to be sure we are
working with the same version and harder to go back and test with old
versions.  It also leaves you dealing with your own version of MLton
that nobody else it using.  It would be better to be more open-source
and try to get you using a publicly available MLton.  So, I think that
we should stick with the RPM/tgz delivery method.  I put up a file
release (20020426) using the head CVS version at the MLton file
release page:

	https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50419

Please try that version and let me know if you have any problems.

If you have some time, I would like to help you work through the
compiler build process with the head version to see if we can figure
out the cause of the problem that you saw.  Please send email to
MLton@mlton.org so that the other MLtonians can help us debug.
Thanks.