[MLton-devel] Re: MLton citation?

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:53:28 -0400 (EDT)

> Quick question, no rush: If I wanted to cite something in my
> dissertation for "MLton monomorphises code so it doesn't need to box
> records and floats", what do you recommend?  Gotta bibtex entry?

I don't think there is any publication that focuses on the
monmorphisation/representation aspects of MLton.  The User Guide has a few
lines concerning whole-program compilation to that effect.

@misc(
MLton,
key = "MLton",
title = "{MLton}, a whole program optimizing compiler for {Standard ML}",
note = "{\tt http://www.mlton.org/}"
)

A minor note, depending on how accurate you want to be.  MLton certainly
does not box any primitive types (int, float, char, word).  So, an ML
'a vector instantiated at int will "look" (for the most part) like a C
int[].  Likewise, monomorphisation reveals a lot more opportunity to
flatten record/tuple aggregates.  But, currently, an ML 'a vector
instantiated with int * int will "look" like a C (void*)[] with pointers
to int * int's.  Better, obviously, would be to inline the tuples into
the vector and avoid the extra dereference.  I believe that Steve is
planning on implementing this sometime later this year.