[MLton-devel] rpm dependencies and download page

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:57:57 -0500

I  know  that  the RPMs did not work with Red Hat 7.1, so they probably don't
work on 7.3 either.

As to labeling, I think that it is important to label it with the  stock  Red
Hat  it  will  run on.  Probably more important to do that than it is to give
the official dependencies, although that is very nice to.

Note, there have been a bunch of bugs fixed up  in  gcc  3.*,  which  is  not
surprising  given  how  new  it  was/is.  I know that you got it more for the
cross-compilation to the Windows world, but I would  say  that  any  official
release  should  really  stick to a stock Red Hat 7.3.  I have a bunch around
here, so if you want I can easily  make  them.   I  also  have  Red  Hat  6.*
machines  so  I could make RPMs for that as well.  It is probably still worth
supporting it until the next Red Hat release, which is going to be 8.0.

I don't think it is worth having a statically linked MLton, at least  not  by
default.

As to what to include for requirements, in addition to the stock Red Hat that
is sufficient, I would include the output of
    rpm -q --requires ???
where ??? is the RPM (if it is installed) or
    rpm -qp --requires ???
where ??? is the RPM file (if it is not installed).