[MLton-devel] Stop-and-copy / mark-compact switch criterion

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:44:34 -0500

Not  that  I know either way, but I think that making the nursery that big is
probably sub-optimal.  If you have a lot of RAM, then the nursery is going to
be  large  enough that it is constantly going to be fetched from main memory.
Also, since you walk though it, you are going to push other things out.   The
main argument in the other direction is that the nursery access is sequential
for allocation so the misses aren't as expensive.