[MLton-devel] project

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:55:28 -0700

> I'm thinking it might be best to start off with something really small
> (for us) that would let him get it done in a couple of weeks and then
> move to something bigger.

Here are some examples of small and medium-size projects I'd like
to see done, depending on the student's interest and time.

Small
Compare the performance of MLton compiled whole-program by SML/NJ with
	MLton compiled by MLton.
Improve the implementation of Posix.IO.writeVec -- if you look at the dot
	graph you will see that the call to Vector.checkSlice is not as
	optimal as it could be.
Add code to the simplifier to handle IntInf_gcd
Benchmark Alex Aiken's Bane tools

Medium
Port CML to MLton
Performance -- use x86 instrumentation to evaluate cache behavior
Library -- improve the dominator algorithm in the graph library
Basis library -- improve IO code to use word copies instead of byte copies
Basis library -- experiment with making Int = IntInf
SSA improvement
	improve poly-equal
		* use local loops for vector equal
		* equality on vector, strings, and arrays should use an eq
			test first
		* don't build default case for datatypes with one variant
		* after doing eq test, don't need to
			do checks on non-value-carrying constructors
			should always do eq test first
SSA optimization -- eliminate redundant derefs
SSA optimization -- eliminate redundant array subscripts