[MLton-devel] runtime argument problems

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:39:54 -0400 (EDT)

I'm getting a very strange problem with my remote build scripts.  The
script itself is simple: send everything over to a remote machine, then do
               make clean && \
               make cm && \
               make && \
               make && \
               make && \
There's no problem sending stuff or executing.  It's just that after doing
the first compile and building the runtime, the make world fails on some
machines:

Processing basis library.
/tmp/mlton.11969/mlton/build/lib/mlton-compile @MLton -- /tmp/mlton.11969/mlton/basis-library /tmp/mlton.11969/mlton/build/lib/world
unhandled exception: Fail usage: exportMLton root file
make[1]: *** [world] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mlton.11969/mlton'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I played around with it a little bit, and the problem seems to be with the
@MLton -- arguments, which aren't being eaten by the runtime:

[fluet@cfs15 lib 5]% ./mlton-compile @MLton --
unhandled exception: Fail cannot open @MLton/build-basis
[fluet@cfs15 lib 7]% ./mlton-compile /tmp/mlton.11969/mlton/basis-library /tmp/mlton.11969/mlton/build/lib/world
[fluet@cfs15 lib 7]%

On another set of machines, everything runs fine.

The "bad" machines look like:
[fluet@cfs15 ~ 1]% cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.9-31smp (bhcompile@daffy.perf.redhat.com)
(gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98))
#1 SMP Tue Feb 26 06:55:00 EST 2002

The "good" machines look like:
[fluet@cfs35 ~ 1]% cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.18-5smp (bhcompile@daffy.perf.redhat.com)
(gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110))
#1 SMP Mon Jun 10 15:19:40 EDT 2002

Although "good" and "bad" might be a misnomer.  I'm bootstrapping from a
version I made yesterday on a "good" machine, so the mlton-compile
executable that fails on a "bad" machine is linked to the runtime that was
made on a "good" machine.  I was able to bootstrap on a "bad" machine with
mlton-20020410.  The only thing I can think of is something funny between
running something compiled on RedHat 7.3 on a RedHat 7.1 system.