[MLton-devel] cvs commit: -exn-history reimplemted

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:51:51 -0400 (EDT)

> > Did you see what it did to count-graphs?
>
> Yes.  I checked that one.  There is now no slowdown at all on
> count-graphs with -exn-history true.

Cool.  I also looked at exnHistory.sml.  If you remove the reference to
SMLofNJ.exnHistory e and replace it with [exnName e], then one of the
removeUnused pass will happily eliminate the history component from the
raised exception.  Since the top-level handler looks at the history, the
later exceptions (raised by the printing functions, etc.) do need to carry
the history.

I suspect we could get away with always having implement-exceptions.fun
rewrite as if exn-history were true.  Then -exn-history would only affect
the behaviour of MLton.Exn.history.  When it was false, nothing could
access the history component and it would be eliminated.