[MLton-devel] Re: Twelf benchmark

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:59:17 -0800

> By the way, do you know of any way to do space profiling for ML?
> SML/NJ is not very helpful....

Funny you should ask that -- I'm working on profiling (both time and
space) in MLton right now.  Experimental releases since 20021112 can
do allocation profiling, which is similar to time profiling except
that instead of associating clock ticks with program addresses it
associates bytes counts (for bytes allocated) with program addresses.
You can compile your program with "-profile alloc" to get allocation
profiling.  For details, see the Profiling section of the user guide
(again, only in an experimental release on or after 20021112).  You
can get experimental releases of MLton at

	https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50419

The main caveat with profiling right now is that the information is
reported against one of MLton's ILs, not against source code.  This
makes it much harder to interpret of course, but it is often useful if
you're willing to spend a little time.  In any case, I am currently
working on changing the reporting so that it is with respect to
source.  There should be a few experimental releases over the next
month with this improvement, and I anticipate it will be working very
well by mid January.