[MLton-devel] profiled self compile with source info

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:44:32 -0500 (EST)

> Here is my current plan.
>
> Add the following to Ssa.Statement.t
>
> 	 Enter of SourceInfo.t
>        | Leave

Maybe this has already occured to everyone else, but it only struck me
yesterday.  Given the above and the labels that the native codegen will
insert at the corresponding points, it should be almost trivial to
generate debugging information.  At the very least, we should be able to
step through the source program from lambda to lambda and follow the
control flow, if not inspect the data.  It might be more difficult to set
breakpoints; certainly for anonymous functions, there is no cannonical
name with which to associate the break; even for named functions, lexical
scoping would seem to make it easy to confuse names.  Poly/ML seems to be
the only major SML compiler with non-trivial debugging support.  It seems
to use the notation "addList()f" for the locally defined function f within
the function addList.  Anyways, I definitely think that source level
debugging even at just the control-flow level would be a great addition to
MLton.