permissions on bcopy.s?

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:39:24 -0800

> Where does bcopy.s come from?

It came from the PolySpace guys.  It is not used, but I didn't want
their code to disappear.

> I see that it uses the sfence instruction, which I don't think
> exists on all CPUs (it is listed as requires SSE).

I think it only runs if the processor_has_sse2.

> (Also the file has execute permissions.)

I don't know how to fix this.  I think you can just change it in the
repository.

> It is really designed only for multi-CPU
> apps sharing memory, so it seems a bit strange that we use it.

> Yikes: I see code in the MLton startup to read if we have SSE from
> /proc/cpuinfo.  What are we using this stuff for?

Yeah, that's from them as well, but it's #if'ed out.  I just copied it
over so it wasn't lost.