mlton arguments

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@cs.cornell.edu>
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:52:51 -0500 (EST)

I changed -keep-pass and -diag to take regular expressions (converted via
the mostly POSIX conforming Regexp.fromString); this should be completely
transparent to anyone just passing pass names, but could be useful like
-keep-pass contify.* to keep all of the contify passes, or even
-diag .* which should keep absolutely everything.

But, I'm getting foiled by shell expansions.
What I've worked out:

mlton -keep-pass .* z.sml
my shell (bash) expands .* as files so it looks like
mlton -keep-pass . .. z.sml
and mlton complains about .. not having a valid extension.

Fine; I should have realized that in the first place; so I go to:
mlton -keep-pass ".*" z.sml
or
mlton -keep-pass '.*' z.sml
which should get through my shell unexpanded, but raise the same errors;
are they being expanded in the /src/bin/mlton shell script?

Various combinations like
mlton -keep-pass "\".*\"" z.sml
get through to mlton-compile, but with extraneous "'s around.

Am I missing something obvious?