sysinfo() kernel variance

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:29:47 -0600

I  just  read the man page on sysinfo(), and I see that the definition of the
sysinfo struct changed in 2.3.23.  What this means is  that  if  you  try  to
compile  on  a  system  running  a 2.2 kernel then you won't get any mem_unit
member.  I don't know how many people still run 2.2 kernels, but I bet it  is
a  lot.  For instance the machines we have outside the firewall all still run
it.

I would say that the right thing to do is to have something like  `configure'
which  tests  if  you have it, and if you don't, fakes it (with a new include
file and a new C program).  If that sounds ok to you, I'll  hack  together  a
copy of the code that does this.