[MLton-devel] grant proposals

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:15:32 -0700

> I had played with this on paper a little bit last fall.  I didn't make
> much progress on it, although I could by hand perform a transformation for
> most of the examples I came up with.  It's certainly an interesting topic,
> because more and more of the advanced data-structures are using poly-rec.
>
> Along the same lines, I was wondering if one could use whole-program
> analysis to compile first-class polymorphism (say, a la Mark Jones'
> FCP with Type Inference paper) down to a mono-morphic IL.

That sounds neat too.  Stepping back a bit, if MLton is too tame for
NSF because it's a proven successful technology, maybe a good
direction to go is to see how to use similar approaches to compile
other languages: Haskell, Ocaml, ...  It would be nice to reuse the
whole SSA optimizer, backend, and codegens.  Maybe it's worth
considering trying to use simply-typed SSA as a universal intermediate
language, instead of, say C--?