[MLton-devel] Sourcelight and MLton

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:54:18 -0500

I agree that it is a good idea to show that people are really using it, but I
don't know how to do it easily.  Some code I prototype  in  MLton,  like  the
blowfish  encoder  and  decoder.   We  needed it in Python for the real thing
because that was what most of the code was written in, but it was much  nicer
to initially write it in ML and to then just re-write it when I was sure that
I understood the algorithm completely.

Other stuff is just miscelanous  scripts.   An  example  is  that  our  movie
database  has  almost  48,000  movies in it, and I needed a program that read
that in, then read movie numbers from stdin and printed out the corresponding
movie (sequence number, title and year).

The  biggest  and  most  recent  thing  is  something that reads in the movie
database from its text format (just over 1 million lines  and  35  megabytes)
and  converts  it  to  the  format  that  Postgres  can load in (25 files, 36
megabytes, 1.4 millionlines).  This  includes  replacing  things  like  actor
names  with  unique  id's  and then also dumping out the table mapping unique
id's back to the names.  Most importantly it is very particular and has found
a bunch of minor typos in the database.  This program is about 3000 lines and
does the entire run in under 24 seconds on my ancient 400 MHz machine.