[MLton-devel] new basis library

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:43:34 -0400 (EDT)

> > I  don't  know what the plan is, but I would think that we clearly can't stop
> > supporting the old basis library since many programs depend on it.
>
> I haven't looked enough to know how much old stuff breaks, and how
> much is just new.  One way I could imagine addressing the problem is
> to implement the new basis library as part of MLton, but provide a
> wrapper library to simulate the old library.

So far, the biggest change is in Arrays and Vectors, where all of the XYZi
functions no longer take a slice, but work on the whole array or vector;
the addition of the VectorSlice and ArraySlice gives you the previous
per-slice functionality, but requires constructing the slice from the
sequence, start, and len.

But, the old basis behaviour can be faked pretty easily.  About six lines
added to regressions/array.sml got it compiling again without type-errors.

Of course, I have no idea how much the IO, Posix, or System structures
have changed.